I’m a huge fan of the Canon Digital Elph series. I bought a Canon S100 in 2000, a SD110 in 2004, and an SD1000 in 2007. Each camera has been a huge improvement over the previous camera, is small enough to carry everywhere, and has taken some great shots.
The SD1000 has one neat touch; it resembles the wildly popular APS film Digital Elph, Canon’s first camera of it’s kind.
One nice feature of the newer SD elphs is the ability to use CHDK firmware, a non-destructive firmware update that allows for raw shooting, live histograms and more:
- Shutter-priority (Tv) exposure – via shutter value override feature
- Aperture-priority (Av) exposure – via aperture value override feature
- Shooting in RAW, with RAW Average, RAW Sum, and RAW Develop features
- Live histogram (RGB, blended, luminance and for each RGB channel)
- Zebra mode (a live view of over and under-exposed areas of your picture)
- Depth-of-field (DOF)-calculator, Hyperfocal-calculator with instant Hyperfocal and Infinity focus-set, and more
- Battery indicator
- RAW and Video space-remaining gauges with custom low-limit alerts
- USB cable remote shutter release
- Motion-detection trigger – automatically fires camera on motion detection. (Fast enough to capture lightning strikes.)
- Customizable high-speed continuous (burst) Shutter-based (Tv), aperture-based (Av) and ISO-based exposure bracketing (unlimited shots)
- Focus bracketing (unlimited shots)
- 99 constant bit-rate and 10 constant-quality video compression levels
- Elimination of 1 Gig video-size limit
- Zoom during video function (for cameras without this feature)
- Shutter, Aperture, and ISO Overrides
- Ultra-long shutter speeds – up to 64 seconds
- Ultra-fast shutter speeds – up to 1/10,000″ and higher
- High-speed Flash Sync at all speeds up to 1/64,000 second (even faster in some cameras)
- Custom user-editable visible Grids for framing, cropping, and alignment
- File browser
- Text reader
- Some fun tools and games :)
- Fully customizable CHDK display, info placement, user-colors, fonts in menus, etc.
- Custom CHDK User-Menu (for instant recall of up to 10 favorite functions)
- Scripts execution – including exposure bracketing, focus bracketing, intervalometer and more)
- And other features too numerous to mention here. See the CHDK Firmware and Allbest Firmware usage pages for a more complete overview.
|Type of Camera
|Type of Camera
||Compact digital still camera with built-in flash, 3x Optical/4x Digital/12x Combined Zoom
|Image Capture Device
||7.1 Megapixel, 1/2.5 inch type Charge Coupled Device (CCD)
||Approx. 7.4 Megapixels
||Approx. 7.1 Megapixels
||5.8-17.4mm f/2.8-4.9 (35mm film equivalent: 35-105mm)
||Normal: 1.0 ft./30cm-infinity
Macro: 1.2 in.-1.6 ft./3-50cm (WIDE), 1.0-1.6 ft./30-50cm (TELE)
Digital Macro: 1.2-3.9 in./3-10cm (WIDE)
|Viewfinder & Monitor
||Real-image optical zoom viewfinder
||2.5 inch low-temperature polycrystalline silicon TFT color LCD Brightness adjustment: 15 levels
||Approx. 230,000 pixels
|Aperture and Shutter
||f/2.8 (W) – f/4.9 (T)
||15-1/1500 sec.; Long Shutter operates with noise reduction when manually set at 1.3-15 sec.
||Auto, High ISO Auto, ISO 80/100/200/400/800/1600 (Standard Output Sensitivity. Recommended Exposure Index)
|Light Metering Method
||Evaluative*, Center-weighted average, Spot**
* Control to incorporate facial brightness in Face Detection
** Metering frame is fixed to the center
|Exposure Control Method
||Program AE; AE Lock is available
||+/-2 stops in 1/3-stop increments
|White Balance Control
||Auto, Preset (Daylight, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H), Custom
||Auto, Auto w/ Red-eye Reduction, Auto w/ Slow Synchro, Flash On, Flash On w/ Red-eye Reduction, Flash On w/ Slow Synchro, Flash Off
||Normal: 1.6-11 ft./50cm – 3.5m (W), 1.6-6.6 ft./50cm – 2.0m (T), Macro: 1.0-1.6 ft./30-50cm (W/T) (when sensitivity is set to ISO Auto)
||10 sec. or less (battery voltage=3.7V)
|Flash Exposure Compensation
||Auto, Camera M, Portrait, Special Scene (Foliage, Snow, Beach, Fireworks, Aquarium, Underwater, Indoor, Kids & Pets), Night Snapshot, Color Accent, Color Swap, Digital Macro, Stitch Assist, Movie
||Activates shutter after an approx. 2-sec./10-sec. delay, Custom
||Approx. 1.7 fps
||SD Memory Card, SDHC Memory Card, MultiMediaCard
||Design rule for camera file system, DPOF Version 1.1
|JPEG Compression Mode
||Still Image: Exif 2.2 (JPEG)
Movie: AVI (Image: Motion JPEG; Audio: WAVE (Monaural))
|Number of Recording Pixels
||Still Image: 640 x 480 (Small), 1,600 x 1,200 (Medium 3), 2,048 x 1,536 (Medium 2), 2,592 x 1,944 (Medium 1), 3,072 x 2,304 (Large), 3,072 x 1,728 (Widescreen)
Movie: 640 x 480/320 x 240 (30 fps/15 fps) available up to 4GB or 1 hour for each file size, 320 x 240 (1 min. at 60 fps), 160 x 120 (3 min. at 15 fps), 640 x 480 (2 hrs. at 0.5 fps/1 fps. Playback at 15 fps)
|Number of Recordable Images
|Time of Recordable Movies
||Fast Frame Rate
||1 min. 7 sec.
||3 min. 9 sec.
||7 min. 30 sec.
||4 min. 39 sec.
||2 min. 42 sec.
||1 min. 1 sec.
||1 min. 27 sec.
||13 min. 2 sec.
||31 min. 45 sec.
||17 min. 58 sec.
||10 min. 29 sec.
||3 min. 57 sec.
||5 min. 39 sec.
||50 min. 21 sec.
||123 min. 30 sec.
Note: N=Normal F=Fine SF=SuperFine
Storage Capacity varies depending on camera settings. This data is estimated from Canon’s standard shooting conditions. Figures for Movie Mode represent total capacity of the particular media.
|Playback Modes File
||Still Image: Single, Magnification (approx. 2x-10x), Jump, Auto Rotate, Rotate, Resume, My Category, Histogram, Index (9 thumbnails), Sound Memos, Sound Recorder, Slide Show, Red-eye Correction
Movie: Normal Playback, Special Playback, Auto Rotate, Resume
||Still Image: single image, by date, by category, by folder, all images
Movie: part of movie, all of movie
||USB 2.0 Hi-Speed (mini-B jack)
||Memory card slot; direct connection to Canon CP and SELPHY Compact Photo Printers, PIXMA Photo Printers and PictBridge-compatible printers via camera’s USB 2.0 Hi-Speed cable
||1. Rechargeable Lithium Battery NB-4L
2. AC Adapter Kit ACK-DC10
||Still Image: approx. 210 shots (NB-4L/LCD on)*
||Approx. 240 min. (NB-4L)* The above figures comply with CIPA testing standards and apply when a fully-charged battery is used.
||3.38 x 2.11 x 0.76 in. / 85.9 x 53.5 x 19.4mm
||Approx. 4.41 oz. / 125g (camera body only)
||Note: Note: 25 display languages provided (English, German, French, Dutch, Danish, Finnish, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Simplified/Traditional Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Portuguese, Korean, Greek, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Turkish, Thai, Arabic, Romanian, Ukrainian)All data are based on Canon’s Standard Test Method. Subject to change without notice.
Canon, DIGIC, ELPH, PIXMA, PowerShot and SELPHY are registered trademarks of Canon Inc. in the United States and may also be registered trademarks or trademarks in other countries. Microsoft and Windows are trademarks or registered trademarks of the Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries. Mac is a trademark of Apple Computer, Inc., registered in the United States and other countries. All other products and brand names are registered trademarks, trademarks or service marks of their respective owners.